This question was answered on Sat 25, Jul 2009 06:08pm by Dr Rowena S, MD

inguinal hernia vs. varicocele

Asked by jeffno (Male; 19 ) on Thu 23, Apr 2009 06:25pm

What are the differences in characteristics and symptoms between inguinal hernias and varicoceles?

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr Rowena S, MD  on Sat 25, Jul 2009 06:08pm:

Hi, A varicocele is a widening of the veins along the spermatic cord. The valves inside the veins along the spermatic cord prevent blood from flowing properly. This causes the blood to back up, leading to swelling and widening of the veins. They are more common in men ages 15 - 25 and are most often seen on the left side of the scrotum. It presents with enlarged, twisted veins in the scrotum or painless testicle lump, scrotal swelling, or bulge within the scrotum. In inguinal hernia, on the other hand, hernia contents push through a weak spot in the inguinal canal. This presents as bulging or mass in the scrotum. Inguinal hernias are the most common type of hernia in both men and women.Diagnosis is through physical examination and medical history.
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by Manoj Saraf on Mon 18, Oct 2010 10:03am:
I have been diagnosed for inguinal hernias and infectious varicoceles. Surgery has been suggested. Can I go for both surgeries at one go? Whether both disease are inter-related? Pls guide.

Comment by Dr Rowena S, MD on Thu 04, Nov 2010 09:01am:
Hi Manoj Saraf, Inguinal hernia is a condition in which intra-abdominal fat or part of the small intestine, bulges through a weak area in the lower abdominal muscles. This can occur any time from infancy to adulthood. Varicocele, on the other hand, forms when valves inside the veins along the spermatic cord prevent blood from flowing properly, leading to swelling and widening of the veins. The presence of one condition does not necessarily mean it is related to the other condition. The surgery is different for each condition and will depend on other factors such as your medical history, age and the procedure itself. Talk to your doctor about this for proper management. Take care and regards.

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
94wbcand1basophils     usedbandaids     lump in mouth     odds     hemifacialhypertrophy     abdominalaneurysm     whatdoestrexaminusedfor     brown oval spot under scrotum     Flathead     boil     moderate     What does gram positive bacilli mean     webshop     growing     common     hiDrImMehreen     reaccuring stuffy nose     medical abortion     coffee allergy     General     bottom of leg is swolen red and it feels like its burning     Hastmethun krna sahi hai kya     steven     Does masturbation lower sperm count     unusualsweating     parvo     Intergestion     what     canamassbecancer     Search for answers     likoriapreventions     related     uterieafibriod     free medical answers     tightness of breath     i sometimes lose my balance     hot skin     overdose20on20lyrica     acne     body feels like it is on fire     Herpespictures     DHT     whyaminotpeeing     forearm     can you take benegdryl and mucinex together     Dry20vagina     reasonofbloodspotsonlegs     dizzy queasy     anabolic steroids     azithromycinantacid     enterococus     Search forMasturbation answers     phosphatidylserine     Ground glass in lungs     This     archnoid cyst     seaweed     penis pops during sex resulting in lots of blood     masturbationleadtoinfertilityinmen     BABY     port     head small     Search forMasturbation answers     Why is the tissue on the renal cortex dense     skin cyst     what is decums disease     Our     birth control     Virginia swallowing inside     adima     white mucus anus itchy     pubic swelling     Search for answers     liquem     synamox     bum20abcess     fistula     chrone     overweight at 135lbs     watery     WHATISHEPB     pulling     tmtpositive     nakedexam     gt rid of scras     uterine     crampsthatfeellikeaperiodcrampbutonmyleftside     whatisfortwin     Search for answers     Isitokaytotakemetoprololandlisi     Search for answers     anal sysplis     My BHCGb is 2975253 mlUml how many weeks i am pregnant     Hypos choice nodule 3 mm     white20fingernails20miscarriage     Dr namitha     Dizzy and feel like vomiting     lft tests     abortionpills     multiplesclorsis     Search for answers     muscle twitching by kneeA0     fatty vagina     rredspotonpenishead     my last period is 9512till now i have not get periodsi have to know that am pregnant or not     Search for answers     eventrated diaphram     Search for answers     pubic swelling     white mucus anus itchy     adima     Virginia swallowing inside     Our     what is decums disease     skin cyst     Why is the tissue on the renal cortex dense     Search forMasturbation answers     head small     BABY     masturbationleadtoinfertilityinmen     penis pops during sex resulting in lots of blood     seaweed     archnoid cyst     This     Ground glass in lungs     heterotopic     spiral     Lung nodule     whatissclerosisinthespinewitharthritis     january     itchy bumps on fingers     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us