This question was answered on Mon 13, Oct 2008 09:12am by Dr Noopur S, MD

Spreading and warmth of bruising 10 days after a lower leg injury

Asked by Unregistered (Male; 45; Obesity, smoker; Relevant drugs:Ibuprofen ) on Mon 21, Jul 2008 08:17am

I injured my lower leg (shin area) falling down four steps 10 days ago. After visiting the ER, I was told there was no break. The bruising appeared near the spot on the injury. the bruising has continues to spread around my leg and down to my ankle and toes. There is very little pain, but there is a warmth at the spot of the original injury sight. Is it normal for the bruising to spread so long after an accident and is the warmth a concern?

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr Noopur S, MD  on Mon 13, Oct 2008 09:12am:

Hi, Thanks for writing in. Whenever injury occurs blood rushes to that area leading to bruising. This bruising can spread around the area of injury. The warm feeling is also perfectly natural and occurs due to excess oxygen in that area due to bleeding. Please apply ice packs to accelerate the healing process. Take care!
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by on Sun 27, Mar 2011 09:03pm:
Pain or mild swelling in the inner part of your lower leg can be due to shin splints, inflammation of the ligaments and other connective tissue along your tibia bone, or a stress fracture, a tiny crack in the bone.

Comment by Todd Barrett on Wed 30, Mar 2011 07:08am:
I've had a problem during the winter with shin splints. Thought that my problem was over. This past weekend I over-exerted myself with a lot of climbing up and down on a ladder...tree pruning. The following day and even 3-4 day laters my whole lower leg and foot are extremely comes in waves. I guess this may be shin splint related ?

Comment by on Wed 30, Mar 2011 08:39am:
Warm and painful leg can be due to shin splints. Apply cold compresses and give rest to the legs. Also take some anti inflammatory drugs after consulting your doctor.

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
I thought this was free     dehydration     gynelogical     can black ant bites cause cold shakes     clearbowelmovement     clopidogrel cause blood in Semen     Search for answers     just had sex     chornsdisease     epstien barr     Search for answers     Ankle sprain     Search for answers     hct     rattlininchest     melanoma     black veins     Ifitnormalforaninfant     seeing     im 49 and having pains on the side of my breast like im nursing a baby     Wokeup     ovulating during menustration in a 53 year old woman     se     parocein     heart rate below 50     womenshealth     Stifle     fattyvagina     course liver texture is unremarable     neck pain     spotting on lupron     ejaculation     theperlecontraceptive     adams apple     ax     what is cozole for     canhbvbecured     llicoriya     scoliosis     Avastin     MENARCHE     chest     nobleading     cough     graving     subc     migraine     bleeding off and on it will srart that morning and by night be gone its been like this for 5 days     study     stancobal     Pregnant     blood test RDW     how can stop unwanted pregency     earlydeposhot     my mother have severe cough and cold last 3 weeks what is reason     osteoarthritis     pictures of little tiny circle bruises that appear randomly     water infection at 14 weeks pregnant     Dea     female lubrication     calluceimage     Swallow bone     993fever     rash     doctors appointment     herpesorpsoriasis     penis feels numb     Ihavealumpasbigasamarbleonthesideofmyvirginaa     sore leg muscles     dr sheetal kaul yellow fever vaccine     what are hives     spider     HelloIamveryworrieda92652 Enter your comments here opinion     backpainatM773818822805947818803803805middle     SexualHealth     Post     ifeellightheadedand     ejaculation     pelvicinflammatorydisease     Redsorepatch     arm pain     nexiom     gwmc     I have a lump or hard tissue in the shaft of my penis what could it be     burning fiberglass and inhale     BOG     low grade fever     Lower sperm count     alprazolam     fevre for 15 days     build body     fevre for 15 days     sperm     otrinox     ihaveswellingofspermaticcordwitnshootingpainradiati     symtoms for being pregnant     phonomina     can rockstar effect concreta     sebaceouscyst     Red eyelids     burning pain in foot     pulmonary     stuffynosenothinghelps     drsheetalkaultinidazole     PAD     milia     Swollen retina     can i use glyco 6 during pregnancy     prostate cancer     ulcerative20colitis     hyperparathyroidism     iron     Neck     blood work ups     xray of hand     varicocele cap     1 OR 11     what should my sodium level be     NUMBNESS     about3weeksagoi     dipration     is it normal to have back and stomach pain after dnc     rashassociatedwith     Ayearbackwhenmychildwas4yearsoldhis     milia     dry flaky skin on penis     mases     myleftfootandcalfhavebeenswellingforlastmonthWhy     pressureinthroat     peripheral neuropthy what is it     dic enlargener pills     antibiotics excreted in seman     Benadryl     methadone withdraw     albuminuria     veginal tablet     tilted     poison ivy     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us