i am 4weeks pregnant and i have pain in my theeth and my gums bleed so im asking should i go to a de

i am 4weeks pregnant and i have pain in my theeth and my gums bleed so im asking should i go to a dentist or should i wait untill i give birth

Add Comment
  • 1 Answer(s)

    Over the course of your pregnancy your body is going to experience a flood of hormone level changes, and this is going to affect you more than you may realize. One of the most common ways this may affect you during your pregnancy is bleeding or sensitive gums.
    This is caused by higher than normal progesterone levels and the result is that your gums will react more than they would usually to the bacteria found in plaque. There is also an increase in your blood volume during your pregnancy and this may mean that you may experience bleeding gums when you brush or floss. While you are pregnant it is especially important to practice good oral hygiene as this will affect around half of the pregnant women around the world. There are been some studies which have shown that women who suffer from either sever gingivitis or periodontitis are certainly more prone to preeclampsia and even topremature labor. As with most medical issues, the first step is prevention. The best way to prevent any gum or oral hygiene issues is to do the following:
    Brush thoroughly but gently at least twice a day
    Floss daily
    Get regular dental care
    Eat a healthy diet
    If you experience any tooth ache, bleeding or sensitive gums then you should definitely make an appointment to see your dentist. Treatment for any of the common oral hygine issues will definitely reduce the risk which is placed on both you and your baby that may be associated with either sever gingivitis or periodontitis.
    Having local anesthesia, such as novocaine, for dental work is safe throughout pregnancy. And if antibiotics are needed, there are pregnancy-safe ones to choose from.

    Answered on May 11, 2014.
    Add Comment
  • If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation. Click the button below to donate.

    Your Answer

    By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

    The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskDoctorForFree is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskDoctorForFree and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.