This question was answered on Sun 17, Aug 2008 05:42pm by VanessaMD

Sore leaves hole in my elbow after dead skin protecting it fell off today

Asked by Unregistered (Male; 53; USA ) on Sun 17, Aug 2008 05:25pm

i've had a sore on my elbow for a couple of weeks, now. Surrounding area is tender to touch but not painful otherwise. Today a piece a dead skin covering sore fell off, leaving a hole in my elbow, which i drained of blood, and a small piece of whitish semi-solid looking tissue or something. Initial swelling from two weeks ago has subsided, but the hole remains. What is this?

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by VanessaMD  on Sun 17, Aug 2008 05:42pm:

Hi This sounds like a bacterial skin infection to me. The redness, the tenderness, and the discharge suggest a bacterial infection. Possible diagnosis for your condition is a boil. "A boil is a pus filled infection of the skin. It usually starts as an infection in a hair follicle and spreads in the surrounding area." ( A boil is caused by Staphylococcus aureus which is a skin bacteria.Cuts and wounds on the skin may facilitate invasion of these organisms into the skin causing an infection. I would suggest that you wash the area with warm water and a mild cleanser. Dry the area using a clean cloth. Using a sterile gauze, cover the area. Taking oral antibiotics such as Cloxacillin or Cephalexin may help. Pain relievers may be taken for the swelling and pain. Do not touch or squeeze as this may only aggravate the condition. Inform your physician before taking any medications.
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by nice on Thu 30, Dec 2010 12:10am:
my boyfriend and i have had what you described for 14 years now..mine stopped 6 years ago but he gets them constantly, we have found no cure...they are very painful and i was just trying to get online to find him some answers...if anyone knows why he gets them so often (once/twice a month)??

Comment by on Thu 12, May 2011 08:59pm:
Taking dead skin off a cut is called debridement and is usually done under aseptic conditions by a doctor. After debridement a course of antibiotics is often prescribed to prevent any infection.

Comment by Mandi on Wed 26, Oct 2011 10:19pm:
I have a similar problem with my right breast. I have what looks like a pimple, and I can feel a hardness under has been there for 3 years. It doesn become larger and I can pop it like a pimple, and when I do, I get like a hard white tissue, sometimes with root like endings. I can almost feel it "cut off" under my thumb nail like a root of a potato would feel..matter of fact, very similar indeed. Even in looks. It will pop, shed some clear or bloody pussy fluid then skin covers it. The skin around it peels after darkening as if its dead skin...almst like a sunburn will turn darker before the skin peels. It IS painful but mostly from squeezing it. It is very disfiguring to me. I am a woman with very large breasts and recently disagnosed a yr ago with fibercystic breasts, with some deep in the tissue. I have had antibiotics and nothing has changed. WHAT IS THIS and HOW can I stop it? It looks like a giant, 2 holed spider bite right now..

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
increase pennis size     can kidney stones be passed in mucousy bloody clots with bright red blood following     can i get pregnant if it jyst touches the lips of my vagins     myn     ekc     lagerstroemia     What is TIA     Search for answers     whyamigetting     damaged     pineapple water     renalfullness     cozole tablets pills     appendicitis srivastava     canagirlgetpregnantfromdriedprecum     mujhe lukoriya ki smysa h iska upay bataye mai 23 year ki hu mai 34 bar apne pati se relation me rhi hur     skin puckering     imhav     Tzonefaceskin     isthereawaytostopsnoring     August 12     NAPROXEN325MGTB     Addiction     Search for answers     damagednervesinglans     QuestionaboutamedicationforUScolitsMymotherhasUSColitistheyhaveheronCanasaSuppositoriesLialda12g     whatkindofantifungalisusedtotreatringworm     fish     lots of pinching in the upper stomac     mussel and body tirdness     xray     fleet     hemorrhoid     abcess     betonillotion     worried     Search for answers     differnet     body     leg anatomy     leptospirosis     ihavetinycirclebruisesappearingonmylegandar     infestation     drynessgroin     breastliquidfrommynipplesisblackinoneandwhiteino     mytsh     forearm     COPD     Breastpain     vagisel     androcur     virchow     Smpimples     hype     acondams     repeat yeast infections     reneliv forte     what is HSV1     Epilepsy     blood glucose nvg     gull bladder     lybia     copper beaten skull     Search for answers     throwing up in morning     Search for answers     treatmentofbawaseer     Search for answers     Pagets     lock finger     boston     using mirena device     how long can you live on IV fluids only     tallness     poopinblood     whatisBinswangersDisease     Search for answers     fatty vagina     male age 43 white tipped nipple     fertility blend     tinea     two lumps found in neck rite side of windpipe     wrist     diabebtes     swollen gums     Red sore penis under head     safe period     Search for answers     lump in the elbow crease of my left arm     Search for answers     bottom     blood and mucus in stool     cobalt poisoning     due     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us