This question was answered on Fri 19, Jun 2009 05:46pm by Dr Vinod, MBBS,FcGP

Sharp intermittent pain on right side of neck

Asked by acguinn0215 (Female; 26; Overweight, history of allergies, mild anemia, chronic tonsilitis as a child, mononucleosis at the age of 22. Family history of depression, heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer, lymphoma, etc.; Relevant drugs:N/A ) on Fri 19, Jun 2009 09:55am

I have been getting this intermittent sharp pain on the right side of my neck , about 1-2 inches directly below my ear, for several months now. It is a sharp, stabbing pain in a very tiny area, lasting 5-10 seconds at a time. It does not feel like a muscle cramp. It can happen at any time, whether I am lying in bed or sitting at my desk at work. I mentioned it to my doctor several months ago, but she seemed to dismiss it as nothing, never asking any questions about it or anything. What could this be, and what can I do about it?

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr Vinod, MBBS,FcGP  on Fri 19, Jun 2009 05:46pm:

Dear acguinn0215, Check if you have any middle ear infection, throat infection, pharyngitis etc. If you do not have any problem then it may be due to your neck muscle called sternocleidomastoid stiffness due to some sprain, false position while sleeping which is causing this pain. This muscle runs along the neck and is inserted in the opposite side of your ear (mastoid process of temporal bone). Take care!
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  

Follow up:

Clarification by acguinn0215 on Sat 20, Jun 2009 11:49pm:
There is no infection. I have had no fever and for the most part have felt fine. The pain in my neck does not involve any stiffness, and it does not run along the entire side of my neck, just this one tiny little spot. It only hurts briefly for a few seconds once every couple of days or more, but the pain is fairly intense. I would say it has been occurring off and on for nearly a year now. I recently had a blood test (SPEE) done at a plasma donation center, and my alpha-1 and alpha-2 blood proteins were high, which I understand can indicate some sort of inflammation. I do no know if this has anything to do with the neck pain. Thank you for your quick response.


Comment by Renee on Tue 20, Sep 2011 12:52pm:
I had this same thing start this morning and the only way I can relieve the stabbing pain is to press hard on the area. Did you ever find out what it is?

Comment by Greg on Wed 11, Apr 2012 07:21pm:
I have had episodes like this for years now and have never looked into it. They are ALWAYS random and there are usually 3 or 4 quick shock-like pains and I have to cringe to the right or back for it to stop. Anyone have a clue what these are and prevent them?

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
cansomeonetellwhatis     am so fat     Search for answers     Creatine     Search for answers     granules     how to get rid of warts     Search for answers     Vaginal     where is taint located     Iam75yearsoldandmyrightlegisalmostbrightredswollenfromtheankletothemeeting     Pit     shoulder pain     flagyl treating uti     axima and sex     can vernace be usedul in neuropathy     WelcometotheforumIappreciatetheeffortsthatyouareputtingintowardsmaintainingahealthylifestyle Result     toddlerhiphurtshighfever     galbladder     dezacor syrup use     bilaterallungfieldsare92601 Enter your comments here leak     pain in fingers     vaginal discharge     a feeling of hot air in the chest and almost throughout the body     corn feet     sgpttestkyahy     large bruise on the inside of my arm     cysts     Sertraline with gravol     LEFTHANDFINGERSTINGLING     a mth pregnant and having abdominal cramping     unsubscribe     medical emancipation     pilonidalcyst     dull     symptoms of spleen enlargement     use     folic     yeast male     6 weeks pregnant with no fetal heartbeat     see     second concussion     scalp     weight loss     sawdust     lopez 1     sarcoidosis and tremors     sarcoidosi     salvitoryglandcancercontained     salvitory     latelyihavebeenfeelingdownanddepressedandifeellikemymumisnt     runny20nose     runners     rubberbandaroundleg     My daughter keeps throwing up but doesnt feel sick What could be the problem     rredspotonpenishead     cornonfoot     rotatorcuff     rotator     road rash     ringwormpictures     rightthroatfeelslikeastrainhutrsonandoff     rightsideofchestfeelstight     righthypochondrialpain     righthemicolectomy     rightandleftsideofabdomenseverepainconstipationandwind     ribpain     letmein     rheumatoidfactorwhatshoulditbe     restlesslegsyndrom     liver swelling pain stones     respiratoryorgan     respiratory organ     reproductive     what is colestatioous     repeat     reoccurringdullabdominalpain     renaldisease     reductioninmedicaltibiofemoraljointspace     redspotsonbackleftsideofhead     redspotonshin     redrashwithbumps     How to cure allergic rhinitis     rednessinthethroatarea     axerth     redness to labia use nistatin powder     Search for answers     redhalfmoonsonfingernails     red20dot20under20the20skin20on20stomach     what should a womans blood preasure be     red ring penis     red rash     red numb ear     red bumpy rash     red bumps with hole     Gram     recurrentdiarheafeverpain     peptic ulcer disease     heatradiatingatwristcomesandgoes     rectaltear     rectalprolapse     rectalbleedingvaginalbleedingandstomachcramps     reccomend surgery after a fall     ihavebumpsthatstickoutandtheystartgettingpurple     reasonforalumponbackofbabieshead     Smpimples     rdw     raynaudsyndrome     ivf     rashonback     Iswearingasolarbeltmadeofneoprenesafetowearbeing     rashbetweenbutt     raised     radiatingrighthipandlegpain     Iwokeup     rabota     Iexperiencenumbnessfro92656Enteryourcommentsherestiffness     rabiescar     quiveringlips     quitsmoking     pylotest     pusscomingoutyourpenis     pusscellinsemen     puncturewoundsfromnailgun     punctatemass     pumping     pullingsensationonrightfrontrib     puckering     pt     psychiatrist     psorisis     prurigonodularis     prowitherection     protinelevels     prostate     properprocedurefordiagnosingincisionalhernia     Pregnancy     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us