This question was answered on Tue 28, Jul 2009 10:17am by Dr. Sandeep

My girlfriend has a rash on her leg that won't go away

Asked by Unregistered on Fri 02, May 2008 08:13am

My girlfriend has had this rash on her lower left leg for about 6 months. It is red, itchy, and quite large. about 3 inches in diameter. It is scaly, rough, and thick feeling. It is not warm to the touch, she has no fever. She has tried several creams. She puts hydrogen peroxide on it daily. She usually puts hydrosortizone on it for the itching, and a anti-fungal cream such as ringworm remover on it daily. Ever since the fungal cream started it has been oozing this clear oily fluid CONSTANTLY. She told the doctor about the rash one time over the phone. He didn't see her about it and prescribed a rx cream. It does nothing. She has had the best luck with the hydrocortizone. It will get really healthy looking and soft and then bang, it looks like crap again for no reason. For some reason she shaved it deeply last night hoping to penetrate it with the cream better, but now it looks worse than ever. I am fed up with telling her to leave it alone and see a doctor, so i'm asking for your input. Does she need to go to the dermatologist, or should we tough it out with an over-the-counter treatment? I think it is fungal, but i'm no doctor. -thanks Nathan

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr. Sandeep  on Tue 28, Jul 2009 10:17am:

Hi there. I understand your concern. By your description, the skin lesion most probably would be erythrodermic psoriasis, where clinical features include, chronic, erythmatous, well defined, dry, red, scaly lesions. I mind you it is not a fungal infection but it is a autoimmune disease which usually runs in families. It is triggered by injury & sudden withdrawal of steroids. I advice you to take consultation with dermatologist. Hope my advice is helpful to you. Take care. Please rate my answer (select the stars below, no need to log in.)
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by Pudsmom on Mon 05, Jul 2010 08:03am:
I realize this is a little late, but it may help someone else. I also have the same kind of rash. It's right on the front of my shin and ankle. Itches like crazy, and spreads to the size of a softball. Same symptoms and reactions to various ointments and creams. Same clear oozing or "weeping" after triple antibiotic ointment. Mine is caused by low thyroid, and the staph/strep bacteria that is naturally on your skin. When I forget to take my synthroid meds, the rash comes back. One way to tell is, does it get worse after she eats soy, caffeine, anything with caramel coloring (like cola), chocolate? These things affect your thyroid. My suggestion would be to see a doctor about her thyroid T3/T4 levels. Hope this helps.

Comment by Krista on Sun 15, Aug 2010 06:21am:
This sounds like what I had. It was eczema, and it was caused by a food allergy. No topical cream will fix it; it is an immune system reaction. Your girlfriend needs to find out what she is allergic to. In my case, it was gluten causing the rash. Alternatively, low vitamin D3 can also cause eczema. She can have her D3 levels tested by a blood test. I would suggest doing this because most people are deficient in D3. Do an internet search for eczema and food allergy and eczema and D3, and I think you will be likely to head down the right road to get rid of this lesion. Good luck!

Comment by on Mon 09, May 2011 09:36pm:
If you have a skin rash that wont go away then you should get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings to rule out any fungal infection and a biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis. It can be due to chronic skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis but diagnosis can be confirmed after a biopsy skin.

Comment by Lucy Huerta on Sat 16, Aug 2014 07:23am:
I have a rash on the back of both leg that won't go away ... It very itchy all the time I have tryed all kinds of cream and nothing works ...

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
lentingenes     effects of mastibution     prostrate and pudendal nerve entrapment     wrist     how to reduce abdomen pain due to likoria     Cough     pre ejaculate pregnancy     deposhot     can i get pregnant by precum     HOW MANY DAYS HAVING SEX AFTER PREGNENDY     HeatExhaustionwLightHeadednessDiaherraTunnelVision     side effects of morphin patches     When I cough I get a ticklepain in my left boob     Hysterectomyandintraductalpapilomaandatrophicvaginitis     whichmedicnewillbegoodtostopwaterlysemen     Search for answers     Ijuststartedtakingbuspar10minthe     Search for answers     hepatitis B     anerysum     Stomach swelling     Clonomoxpregnant     bloodonpillow     left20hand20function20problem     mentrual     Hidradenitis suppurativa     Disney videos     sorethroat     systoms of gout     23 year old with swollen pennis     mysonis1yrsandsufferingfrommenngitisgoingundertreatmentlast1weekcanitakehimtodelhibyflight     can i take klion on my period     is white flakes on breast safe     anything i can take for stress during pregnancy     bowel movement blood     Thyr     what is pylotest positive     Purbac     im 26 and both of my testicals hurt even to to     hormonalseizure     symptomsforacidinflux     how do you get rid of lumbs under your armpit     roseace     alt Sgpt 54 is that high     How do I know Im a virgin     pooping     pantymarks     Hellotheremy     haventurinated     Alda     oxyfend     functionisprototypeofnativecode     ihavesevereanemiacanistillfly     posterior disc osteophyte complex foraminal stenosis     extremelydrymouthvery     Isitokaytotravelwitha6weekoldthatissick     Yeast20Infection     esi     AdrenalInsufficiency76258     all     consequences of pulmonary infiltrates     curlz fin     Gay     throat virus     PleasehelpmewithananswerEnlarged     Iwokeupthismorningwithmybridgeofmy     PainonupperleftsidewhenIbreathin     blockedfallopiantubes16106     Low mpv     maieres disease     highbloodpressureandacaiberry12635     shighrapatan8590620Enter20your20comments20here20to     heterotopia     phelem build up causing a gag reflex     turn head see stars     whatdoesitmeantohavealowplateletcount     Benign     Can you have lorzapan with exelon     last year i suffered a heart attack and was oxygen deprived for what Im told was 18 minutes     when does Dr Anant Joshi visits Fortis mohali     HEART RATE EXERCISE     dr sheetal kaul hydroquinone     am i protected from pregnancy all the time i am on the pill     Search for answers     what causes foul discgarge     Search for answers     doxycyclinehydrocloride     Search for answers     sinus     Search for answers     Infected stitches     melanoma coughing     searchforanswers     canweofferprayerwhilewehavinglikoriaproblem     turp     Symptoms of goner tea     Search for answers     head numbness     Ihada     what20antibiotic20will20i20need20to20treat20pulse20at20the20end20of20the20penis     question     xray     diamox interactions     sinus bleeding     hpv and history of chlamydia     xray     Highbloodpresure     im30weekspregnantbut     function hasOwnProperty native code     hi DrI m Mehreen     why does my back burn and ache     whatiscauseofbloodinkidney     how to finish lakoriaplz tel me     roundbruisesonforearm     stitches cannot bend     i urinate in bits     IthinkIforgottotakemytamponoutIthinkIforgotto     elderly respiration rate     Anurag     Thick     Toinsil     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us