This question was answered on Sat 18, Dec 2010 08:30pm by Dr. Srivastava

Hard lump on leg after a fall

Asked by botheredandbewildered (Female; 81; CANADA; Type 2 Diabetes--I take pills.; Relevant drugs:Metmorfin ) on Sun 28, Feb 2010 08:00am

Three weeks ago I fell down five stairs, head first. Only my right side was hurt. Right away my leg swelled up a lot, just above my ankle. I applied an ice pack, and the swelling reduced right away down to a lump. Next day I went to my Doctor, and she ordered X-rays of my ribs (since that was the area hurting the most, especially when I breathed and coughed) and my thumb, which was black and blue. The X-rays showed no fractures or breaks. I showed her my leg and she said it was obviously not broken, so did not have it X-rayed. I went back to the Doctor a few days ago concerned about the lump on my leg. It is now very hard and inflamed. She told me that was blood and the lump would be there for the rest of my life. As I type this, I can feel "throbbing" in the lump. I should mention that I was on anti-inflamatory pills, Arthrotec, but I kept getting abdominal pains and diarhea. On reading about side effects of Arthrotec on the Internet, I stopped taking the pills since my symptoms were described. There were also warnings about them causing strokes, and should not be given to elderly patients, or patients already on Entrophen. I take the following pills on a regular basis: Synthroid, Ezetrol 10mg, Lipitor 10mg, Omeprazole 40mg, Ramipril 10mg, Diltiazem HCI 180mg, Entrophen 325 mg.

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr. Srivastava  on Sat 18, Dec 2010 08:30pm:

Hi, Pain, swelling at the joint or part of the leg, tenderness and difficulty in walking are the parameters used to assess the type and severity of injury incurred to the joint. Twisting of ankle can result in fracture of the bone, sprain of the ankle ligaments or strain of the muscle tendons. Fracture which is a crack in the bone, almost always presents with swelling at the site of injury with excessive pain with and without movement. It is diagnosed with the help of X-ray of the bone/joint. If no fracture is seen on an X-ray, then the most probable diagnoses are sprain and strain. I hope it helps.
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by on Tue 10, May 2011 08:47pm:
Lump on leg after fall can be due to hematoma formation, dislocation or a fracture of the bone. You need to get an x-ray done to rule out any fracture.

Comment by on Sat 21, May 2011 05:40am:
This can be due to collection of blood underneath the skin causing a hematoma formation. Apply warm compresses and take anti inflammatory pain killers to decrease the swelling.

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
methotrexatearthritis     whatisthenewfoodpyrmaid     how d o i treat smelly armpit in a 7year old     willagall     knee brace help     IhavecutsonmybuttholeHurtitchandbleedSorrytob     what     FREQUENT URINATION     Ihavebeendiagnosedwithoptic     needletipinarm     knee pursa     stancobaltab     azit     hindi     singleLymphnodeabovepancreasnotedonultrasound     what     risperidone     fatty20vagina     husb     how much blood monthly     Foodsforibs     osteochondroma     Amazon     charting     elbowinjuries     pain in the back of the head     blood in urine     lukoriya     myfeet     bipolar     Search for answers     CLARITHROMYCIN PREGNANCY     LUMPLumpinthebackofnec     Search for answers     white bumps on penis     ACAI     discomfortunderthebottompartofthe     enlargedclavicalbone     Ketoanalogues     canmygfgetpregnantifitouchedherbuttwithdriedspearmonmyhands     liver     Hormonetherapyafterlap92623Enteryourcommentsherecarry     im33weekspregnantandmybellyshrunkdownto29inwhatsgoingon     Family     Vagifem     nose bleed     severpaininbackribs     993fever     whatisDysport     tricareandtherapist     starting iv and noticed veins got red on lower right arm     custom     Search for answers     post concussion headache     ibf     Bell     can i take benadryl mucinex and tylenol     news     broken nose     Search for answers     hysterectomy     Search for answers     tensionheadache     Search for answers     biospas     explainlikoriainurdu     how to use dezacor     inderal 10mg     can pre cum get a girl pregnant     insomania after acid reflux     Disease     hotflashes     reneliv forte     cipro for uti     purple20penis     MRIresultsopacificationofsomeaircellsinpetrousape     sleepdeprivation     Excruciat     spee     intercostal neuritis     increasing     low burning and dull pain in the left side of head     informationonrectum     i     nairdownthere     hairgung     Search for answers     why am i takeing metronidazole tablets     Search for answers     reasonofbloodspotsonlegs     Search for answers     pregnant with diaherra     sliced toe     kidneyultrsound     howtoincreaseslowbowelmovement     what is an antihistamine     herpes and high wbc     Abort     prempro     Kowardsocky     welts     ct scan radiation     rightsideribcagefluttering     howlongtotake     If20I20had20a20few20cigarettes20a20week20ago20is20that20enough20to20show20up20in20a20urine20test     Search for answers     petril 05     notregularperiods     petril 05     preacautionary     Scrotum     ihaveasmallpaininmyrightkneeeverytimeiwalkonitandwhenthepain     what is hypoxia     normal ekg     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us