This question was answered on Sat 15, Nov 2008 09:20pm by Dr.Bhumika Aggarwal

Chipped bone in elbow - treatments?

Asked by brit (Male; 49; USA; No heart problems, no cancer, no diabetes, no allergies. Healthy and active. 6'1", 185 lbs. In 2005 had meniscus in right knee repaird due to basketball injury.; Relevant drugs:none ) on Mon 15, Sep 2008 02:42pm

What types of treatments are there for a chipped bone in an elbow?

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr.Bhumika Aggarwal  on Sat 15, Nov 2008 09:20pm:

Hi, Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow is a disorder in which fragments of bone or cartilage come loose and float around in the elbow joint. Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow is a disorder in which fragments of bone or cartilage come loose and float around in the elbow joint. Your health care provider will review your symptoms and examine your elbow. He or she may do an x-ray, which may show a bone chip or an abnormal joint surface. Your provider may order an MRI. The initial treatment is to rest your elbow until the symptoms are gone. This may take up to a few weeks. You should apply ice to the elbow for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until the pain and swelling go away. Your health care provider may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medicine or other pain medicine. Small bone chips or cartilage fragments that do not affect elbow motion and do not cause further pain do not need to be removed. Surgery may be needed to remove larger fragments and to repair the injured joint surface. Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts. Regards.
Our doctors provide free answers to your questions. If you are happy with our services, please consider making a donation.
Click the button below to donate.

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by jesse on Wed 16, Jun 2010 10:06am:
i can feel something loose inside my elbow and it its swollen i hit it with a lot of force not long ago i can also feel a hard piece of i dont know what in my elbow will it heal on its own??

Comment by darren hoad on Mon 05, Jul 2010 05:34am:
hi i came of my push bike the ather night had xray i chipped my elbow on 3.7.2010 what do you think hosptail would do.

Comment by Tobin on Sat 16, Oct 2010 05:45pm:
i think the hospital will do nothing unless its causing you pain or causing your joint to lock up then they may open it up and take out the little pieces. I have the same thing and i did it twice! now, the first time was no prob. it didn't interfere in my arm motion but it happened again and i smashed my elbow right where i did the 1st time and took off a bigger, sharper bone shard and every now and then when i try to rest my head against my hand, putting my elbow down i can feel the big chip trying to poke through the skin and sometimes it goes to just the right spot and locks my elbow up when I'm trying to straighten my arm out and its been that way for years and its not healing to the point where the problems are going away so i think they're going to want to open it up and take the pieces out if i ever get around to going for the operation but its going to be nice to put my elbow down on the desk and not feel like a knife is trying to stab its way out of my arm(IT HURTS!) so thats my opinion on the method they'd be using to fix a problem like that. Good luck and go see that doctor;We're on the same page with this one and its annoying !!

Comment by on Sun 17, Oct 2010 12:56am:
How can this be fixed?

Comment by on Fri 11, Mar 2011 10:13am:
The treatment for chipped bone in elbow are have an x-ray to know the exact locational of chipped elbow and then a surgery to remove the chip from your elbow. It may take some time to recover after surgery.

Comment by adam on Mon 04, Mar 2013 03:22am:
I have the exact same problem cant put my elbow down is the operation complicated expencive and do you know the recovery

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
abortion     rhuematism     premature     Trmatentofhypothy     dry20hands     Search for answers     AbeestungmyeyelidyesterdayMyeyewasswollen     pink     sexualorsexorstdorsexuallyorintercourseorpenisorvagina     dilantin     Urin     burn     PREGNANCY     beetrootorbloodinpoo     Howdoyouknowyouhaveasma     Symptoms of ms     wart cure     Zithromaxandgrapefruit     can you use motrin with tylenol     NeverEjaculatedDischarg92658Enteryourcommentsherestarting     dizzinees     ostiomeatal complexes     knee     aspiration pneumonia     data     whyamIexperienceingfrequentlyfeelingbadfuzziness     i0o     Iam35yrfemalehavingfeverFR1001005DailyAlltestdonenothingfoundMyvitaminb12andvitamind3isabsolutelyLowitus200CanIfevercontinuouswiththis     wrist     boil20inside20my20nose     Whatrcozoletablesareforbecausemadoctorgivemethem     longenough     prevent     sting     stage     canyouoverdoseoncymbaltaorlyricaandwhatarethesym     spiderbites     ANALEAZE     Swallowingahalfoftoothpic     5weekperiod     search     pimples on adult     whitepaniaana     Tonguebiting     RSD IN MY RIGHT LEG     cousin     upper     Result     osteochondroma     Iamhavingextremeskinsensitivityalmost     OLDSEX     Incomplete20puberty     alprazolam     augmentin     IS I PILL HARMFULL     Roof     medicene     menactra     live in     02983rifnwe     redrashontopofyoureyesafterchoke     diagnosing adhesions     lowcreatinelevelsinurine     RhematoidArthritisInflammation     CanyoutakeClindamycinAmoxicillinAndFocalinTogetherAtOnceCanItKillYou     leftventriculareffusionfraction     transvginalultrasound     SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES     Hormonetherapyafterlap92623Enteryourcommentsherecarry     can20certain20feminin20washes20make20you20irratated20on20te20vagina     Eyeptosis     CanIsafelyfastonYomKippurwithNASHandhypothyroidism     My 14 days boy has high heard swilling around the nipple guide me about this or treatment     stinkybutt     ATENOLOL     Smokingwhilepregnant     puffyeyes     subsegmentalatelectasisbothlungs     metabolicraterelatedtopleuraleffusion     howcanilosevigaenafat     Pimpalsh kyu aye hae     multiplemiscarriage     chills     rightturbinatesofnasalcavity     headach     Hid     calf strain     flu     inr     utistrep     Afastgrowinggrowthonmyulna     howtodeletequestions     ulcerative colitis     Prolongedpartialfootnumbness23monthstoppartofmyr     clitoral adhesion     night     crampsrightbackpainandstomachvomiting     endocarcinomaofthelungsurvivalrates     whatisapnemia     allaergic20rhinitis     poisonivyquestions     it feels like something is stuck in my throat     sex20pain     whatisthecauseifImamale     painundersterumdifficultyswallowingburninginesophagus     anal bleeding     feelingdrowsywhenlayingonmyback     IfonMethadonecanapersontakeMorphineforseverechronicpain     what is a heel spur     burningfeet     isitoktomasturbatewhiletakingntibioticsforgorronhea     Amoxicillinandheavyperiod     whatdoesitmeanifuhavedizzyspellsthrewouttheday     thrush on hands     chest xray     Treatment     symptoms of gerd     inflammationofthescotum     tabletlopez     emphysema     syptoms     my3yearoldgetsoutoftubandurvaginaisalwaysredanssore     klacid     im20yrsold     gainfat     swelling     wbc     Wwwchestbern     deca     Alprazolam154ngml     leko     i have a sore above top lip looks like a bunch of blisters put together and is itchy and swollen what could this be     antiHSV2IgM     myh     calcirol sachet can be taken with bournvita milk     red blsck and blue marks on my legs     Carbohydrates     Ia     involuntary     phlegm in throat     My legs are swollen from a sunburn     sirmyageis24yeasandmyteastinotlongufpleastellmewycan     whatcausescrampsinthefiy     Experiencingheartfluttersdizz     one     HowdoIknowifIhaveakidneyinfection     anIdrinkalcoholwhiletakingFerrousSulphatetablets     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us