This question was answered on Mon 06, Jul 2009 11:06am by Dr Bhupinder K, MD

A bee stung my eyelid yesterday. My eye was swollen shut when I woke up this morning. Ice and benadryl have reduced the swelling. I now notice a swollen gland right below my ear. I had an allergic reaction to a bee sting when I was very young and haven

Asked by sarahalbrecht (Female; 26 ) on Mon 06, Jul 2009 09:38am

A bee stung my eyelid yesterday. My eye was swollen shut when I woke up this morning. Ice and benadryl have reduced the swelling. I now notice a swollen gland right below my ear. I had an allergic reaction to a bee sting when I was very young and havenít been stung since? Is benadryl enough? Is there something I can do at home to treat this? I donít have insurance.

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr Bhupinder K, MD  on Mon 06, Jul 2009 11:06am:

Hello, A bee or wasp sting can cause a skin reaction with redness, swelling, itching, and pain. This is very similar to the appearance of skin that is inflamed by a bacterial infection - a condition sometimes referred to as cellulites. A wasp sting may also cause blistering with or without "brawny" swelling, which is when the skin feels thickened, warm, and bumpy to the touch. Either a sting or an infection can cause lymph nodes ("glands") that drain the region to become swollen and tender. You can take over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. It will help in relieving the itching. If there is any pain involved, then pls take over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen(Advil).You can also apply a mild hydrocortisone cream like dermacort on the site of the sting. Severe cases may need oral steroids.Alsp check your tetanus booster dose.If it is more than 10 years since the last tetanus booster, then pls get a tetanus toxoid shot. In case the symptoms worsen then pls consult ER as steroids may be needed. Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.You can also find additional information from the following site:

If you find the site useful, please consider making a donation.  Click the button to donate.   

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by on Wed 25, May 2011 12:38am:
Swollen glands due to bee sting can be due to allergic reaction or infection. Take antihistaminic and apply antibiotic cream to prevent any infection.

Comment by on Mon 30, May 2011 10:03pm:
For bee sting on eyelid, apply cold compresses and take some antihistaminic like Benadryl immediately. It will relieve the itching. You may also need topical and oral steroids to relieve any swelling that you have.

Comment by kate whitehead on Fri 05, Aug 2011 11:28am:
I've just been stung by a bee on my eyelid. I've taken painkillers and antihistamines but it's still killing me. Can I use antihistamine drops in my eye or drops for dry eyes as I suffer from hay fever and dry eyes but am scared to put anything into my eye in case it causes further irritation? Also it seems to hurt more when I bend my head forward. Help please

Comment by s on Fri 02, Sep 2011 04:22am:
i got stung on my scalp 2 hours ago, i took 2 paracetamols, have i left it too late to wash it?

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Medical Doctor:
alcoholand     shinglescausingpaininteeth     elderly malethin skin     patchyechotextureofliver     Search for answers     Umblical cord     Ardor breast     pressure ulcers     epidural     folliculitis     left     renal calculi     REACTIVE     Floating     GILLAN BALRISE SYNDROM     epidural     eric     drug tests     Birth control     4 YEAR OLD HAS A KNOT ON TOP OF HIS HEAD     desonide     motor     pain in my womb     virus     knee giving out     bumps     adderall ir     Search for answers     fever lump in throat     Search for answers     Ardor breast     Search for answers     ulnar abutment     Search for answers     head neck     pain left leg     lumptowardstheendofjawbone     ich mag dich     dodajwpis     scar treatment     pressure ulcers     Severebodyaches     YesterdayInoticedmy     missed     itchingunderarms     canthrowingupfatiguebackpainstomachpainbadmoodswingsmeanthatyourpregnant     soresthatwontheal     Zongg          swell     Search for answers     white water came out     Asterate     itchy small bumps on arms     Search for answersinterpret this order kanamycin 375mg q12h     Hydrocoel     minitop     evening sneezing fits     Search for answers     Hearing Aids vs Hearing amplifiers     isitadrug     dizzyspin     guilty     pressuresore     Search for answers     ihaveafriendthatwasdiagnosed     Search for answers     what is platlits     Search for answers     worriedsickribcage     likoria ke liye medicine bataye     clitorisinanus     sex problem     Stifle     AVIL     pantymarks     Pome     sclerosing myeloma     Benign     Before     Suprax     renal calculi     Search for answers     low total bilirubin     blood diarrhea     bloodinstolonly     is20milk20good20for20Erosive20Gastroduodenitis     eyebrow hairloss     my child is 19 months old and does n     remove underwear     Pathophysiologically with Diabetes and Obesity     osteocondroma femora bone     can allergies cause the inside of the nose to swell     what is Albumin     urinary track     can my gf get pregnant if i fingered her with dried sperm on my hand     spinal stenosis     what     thining     atypical meloncyte     Search for answersinterpret this order kanamycin 375mg q12h     swallen glands     food poisoning systoms     brown stain on the tongue     Magnesium deficiency     symptoms of appendix     left     Blossomclotinthelungs     

©2011 - Ask Medical Doctor  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskMedicalDoctor is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskMedicalDoctor and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us